WEeb.in Team Current Affairs Total Views: 358 Posted: Mar 10, 2021 Updated: Sep 19, 2023
Current Affairs - February, 2021
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will receive the CERAWeek Global Energy and Environment Leadership Award for his commitment to expanding India’s leadership in sustainable development to meet the country’s, and the world’s, future energy needs.
- The Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports has restored the recognition of Gymnastics Federation of India (GFI) as the National Sports Federation (NSF) with immediate effect till December 31, 2021.
- Madhya Pradesh Cabinet has approved the “Penal Law (Madhya Pradesh Amendment) Bill, 2021” on February 26, 2021. This bill was approved in order to give life imprisonment to food adulterers in states.
- The Finance Minister of India, Nirmala Sitharaman, attended the G20 Central Bank Governors’ meeting on February 26, 2021. This was the first ever G20 Central Bank Governors’ meeting that was held under the Italian Presidency.
- The countdown for the launch of Indian Space Research Organisation’s PSLV-C 51 or Amazonia-1 mission started on February 27, 2021. The countdown began 8:54 am. Highlights PSLV-C51 is scheduled to be launched from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre (SDSC) at Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh.
- The National Statistical Office (NSO) recently released its data on the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) for the financial year 2021. Key Facts As per the NSO, the Indian economy will be expanded by 0.4% in the December quarter.
- The Centre for Science and Environment (CSE) has released its State of Environment Report, 2021 on February 25, 2021. The report highlighted how the Covid-19 pandemic will impact the children across world.
- The Global anti-terrorism watchdog Financial Action Task Force (FATF) decided to maintain Pakistan into Grey List till June 2021 on February 25, 2021.
- The second edition of the Khelo India Winter Games began at Gulmarg in the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir on February 26, 2021. This is a five-day event and will conclude on March 2, 2021.
- India and Ireland held the bilateral consultations on UN Security Council issues on February 26, 2021 in the virtual mode. Highlights During the bilateral consultations, both the countries congratulated each other for their election to United Nation Security Council (UNSC).
- The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority (IRDAI) has launched a standard personal accident cover called Saral Suraksha Bima. This accident cover will be mandatorily offered by the general and health insurers from April 1, 2021.
- India Govt announces new social media rules to curb its misuse To prevent the misuse of social media, the Union government on February 25, 2021 announced new rules that make it mandatory for platforms.
- The Union Government has announced that the second phase of COVID-19 vaccination will begin from March 1, 2021. Highlights Under the second phase of covid-19 vaccination, people aged above 60 years will get vaccinated.
- The Union Cabinet has approved the proposal to impose President’s Rule in Puducherry. This proposal was approved days after the Congress-led government in the union territory lost power after a vote of confidence.
- The International Commission on Large Dams (ICOLD) Symposium on Sustainable Development of Dams & River Basins was inaugurated by the Minister for Jal Shakti, Shri Gajendra Singh Shekhawat, on February 24, 2021.
- The President of India, Ram Nath Kovind, has inaugurated the world’s largest Stadium at Motera, in Gujarat on February 24, 2021.
- The Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) has approved the acquisition of 118 Arjun Mark 1A tanks on February 23, 2021.
- Bangladesh has become the first country that has banned the painkiller ketoprofen. This painkiller is used widely to treat the cattle. But this painkiller is toxic to vultures.
- DRDO has successfully launched the two indigenously designed and developed Vertical Launch Short Range Surface to Air Missile (VL-SRSAM) on February 22, 2021.
- The United States space agency, NASA, released the first audio from Mars on February 22, 2021.
- The state of Uttar Pradesh has become the first Indian State that has tabled the paperless budget. The State finance minister, Suresh Khanna presented the State Budget for 2021-2021 on February 22, 2021 in the paperless mode.
- Saudi Arabia has opened up the armed forces for Women. Following the order, the female recruits can now trade their abayas for military uniforms.
- The Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) and the Greenstat Norway signed an agreement to set up the Centre of Excellence on Hydrogen. This agreement was signed some days after India unveiled its national hydrogen mission.
- India and Ethiopia have signed two agreements on February 20, 2021. These agreements are related to visa facilitation and leather technology.
- India is all set to host the virtual health secretary-level meeting with the member countries of the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC). The virtual meeting will be held on February 18, 2021.
- The lower house of the French parliament has approved the Ant-Radicalism bill in a bid to fight the Islamic radicalism. Anti-Radicalism Bill The bill seeks to strengthen the government oversight of mosques and religious schools.
- The United Nations Capital Development Fund (UNCDF) has appointed Preeti Sinha as its Executive Secretary. She is an Indian-origin investment and development banker.
- S. Theodore Baskaran who is a writer, a historian, a naturalist and an activist has won the Sanctuary Lifetime Service Award, 2020.
- The Nigerian economist Ngozi Okonjo Iweala has been appointed as the head the World Trade Organization. She has become the first woman to take this position.
- Russia has launched a new progress cargo ship into orbit in February 14, 2021. The cargo ship was launched in order to deliver the cargo to the seven crew members in the International Space Station (ISS).
- The Indian government has gifted 2000 metric tonnes of rice to Syria in a bid to strengthen the food security with the middle east countries.
- Goa has become the 6th State in the country that have successfully completed the Urban Local Bodies reforms.
- The first geothermal power project of India will be established at Puga village of eastern Ladakh.
- The National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA) has approved the creation of the fifth tiger reserve in Tamil Nadu.
- Pakistan successfully test-fired its nuclear-capable surface-to-surface ballistic missile called Ghaznavi. The missile was test fired on February 3, 2021.
- The Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama have recently launched his new book “The Little Book of Encouragement”. The book comprises of 130 quotes. The book has been edited by Renuka Singh while published by Penguin Random House.
- The military of Myanmar has taken control of the country and a one-year state of emergency has been announced. Further, State Counsellor Aung San Suu Kyi and other government leaders have been detained.
- India President launches first round of Pulse Polio Programme 2021 President Ram Nath Kovind on January 30, 2021 launched the countrywide Pulse Polio Programme for 2021 by administering polio drops to children less than five years old at the Rashtrapati Bhawan.
Union Budget 2021-22
Following are Budget highlights of the 2021-22 Budget presented by Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman:
Fiscal position and health outlay:
* Spending on healthcare hiked by 137 pc to over Rs 2.23 lakh crore
* Rs 35,000 cr outlay for COVID vaccine in fiscal beginning April 1
* Today India has 2 vaccines available, 2 more vaccines are expected soon
* Sharp increase in capital expenditure for next fiscal to Rs 5.54 lakh cr, up from Rs 4.39 lakh cr of last fiscal
* Fiscal deficit for current fiscal at 9.5 pc, against 3.5 pc budgeted
* Fiscal deficit for next fiscal pegged at 6.8 pc, government to borrow Rs 12 lakh crore
* Committed to bring down fiscal deficit below 4.5 pc of GDP by 2025-26
* ITR filing not mandatory for senior citizens above 75 years, banks to deduct TDS
* Time bar for reopening I-T assessment cases halved to 3 years, for serious frauds it is 10 years
* Income tax return filers increased to 6.48 cr in 2020 from 3.31 cr in 2014.
* Agri infra cess of 2.5 pc on gold, silver and dore bars; 35 pc on apples
* Agri infra cess of 30 pc on Kabuli chana, 10 pc on peas, 50 pc on Bengal gram/chickpeas, 20 pc on lentil (mosur); 5 pc on cotton
* Rs 2.5 per litre agri infra cess on petrol, Rs 4 on diesel
* New Agri Infra Development Cess to be applicable from February 2
* Tax deptt to notify rules to remove hardships of double taxation faced by NRIs
* Tax holiday for startups, capital gains exemption extended by 1 yr
* Tax exemption for aircraft leasing cos; tax exemption for notified affordable housing for migrant workers.
* Rs 1.5 lakh tax deduction on payment of interest for affordable housing extended by 1 yr
* Exemption from tax audit limit doubled to Rs 10 cr turnover for companies doing most of their business through digital modes
* Proposes review of over 400 customs duty exemptions; to begin extensive consultation from October 2021
* Customs duty on certain auto parts, solar equipment raised
Allocation and reforms:
* FDI in insurance increased to 74 pc from 49 pc
* Disinvestment target pegged at Rs 1.75 lakh crore
* BPCL, IDBI Bank, two more PSU banks, one insurance company to be privatised among others
* PSU Bank recapitalisation pegged at Rs 20,000 crore next fiscal
* Aatmanirbhar health programme with an outlay of Rs 64,180 cr to be introduced
* Budget proposals rest on 6 pillars– health and well-being, physical and financial capital and infra, inclusive development for aspirational India, human capital, innovation and R&D, Minimum Governance and Maximum Governance
* Govt to introduce a bill to set up development financial institution with an outlay of Rs 20,000 cr
* Voluntary vehicle scrapping policy to phase out old vehicles; fitness tests after 20 yrs for personal vehicles
* National monetisation pipeline for potential brownfield infrastructure assets
* Rs 3,726 cr for forthcoming Census which will be the first digital census.
EIU’s Democracy Index
- Norway has topped the Index.
- Iceland, Sweden, New Zealand and Canada are the top five countries on the list.
- India’s position has slipped by two places to be placed at 53rd spot
- From the 167 countries, the Democracy Index has classified 23 countries as full democracies, 52 as flawed democracies, 35 as hybrid regimes and 57 as authoritarian regimes.
- The Democracy Index (began in 2006) which is prepared by the Economist Intelligence Unit, provides a snapshot of the state of democracy worldwide in 165 independent states and two territories.
- India has slipped 10 places in the 2019 Democracy Index to 51st position. In 2018, India was ranked at 41.
- The Economist Intelligence Unit Headquarters: London, United Kingdom.
- The Economist Intelligence Unit Parent organization: Economist Group.
- The Economist Intelligence Unit Founded: 1946.
Winners of Australian Open 2021:
- Men’s Singles: Novak Djokovic (Serbia) defeated Daniil Medvedev (Russia)
- Women’s Singles: Naomi Osaka (Japan) defeated Jennifer Brady (US)
- Men’s Doubles: Ivan Dodig of Croatia and Filip Polášek (Slovakia )defeated Rajeev Ram (US) and Joe Salisbury (UK)
- Women’s Doubles: Elise Mertens (Belgium) and Aryna Sabalenka (Belarus) defeated Barbora Krejčíková (Czech Republic) and Kateřina Siniaková(Czech Republic )
- Mixed Doubles: Barbora Krejcikova (Czech Republic) and Rajeev Ram of the US defeated the Australian pair of Samantha Stosur and Matthew Ebden.
Dadasaheb Phalke International Film Festival awards 2021
The Dadasaheb Phalke International Film Festival awards 2021 were announced, to honour the best in Indian cinema, television, music, and OTT. Late actor Sushant Singh Rajput was posthumously awarded ‘Critics Best Actor’ for his performance in Dil Bechara. The ceremony, which took place in Mumbai, was aired live on 20 February on ZEE5. The chief guest at the event was Maharashtra Minister of Tourism and Environment Aditya Thackeray.
Winner of the Award for 2021 are as follows:
- Best Actor (Female): Deepika Padukone, Chhapaak
- Best Actor (Male): Akshay Kumar, Laxmii
- Critic’s Best Actress: Kiara Advani, Guilty
- Critic’s Best Actor: Late Sushant Singh Rajput, Dil Bechara
- Best Film: Tanhaji: The Unsung Warrior
- Best International Feature Film: Parasite Most Versatile Actor – Kay Kay Menon
- Best Director: Anurag Basu, Ludo
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Vikrant Massey, Chhapaak
- Best Actress in Supporting Role: Radhika Madan, Angrezi Medium
- Best Actor in Comic Role: Kunal Kemmu, Lootcase
- Best Actor (Web Series): Bobby Deol, Aashram
- Best Actress (Web Series): Sushmita Sen, Aarya
- Best Web Series: Scam (1992)
- Album of the Year: Titliyaan
- Best Television Series: Kundali Bhagya
- Photographer of the Year: Daboo Ratnani
- Style Diva of the Year: Divya Khosla Kumar
- Best Actress in Television Series: Surbhi Chandna
- Best Actor in Television Series: Dheeraj Dhoopar
- Performer of the Year: Nora Fatehi
- Outstanding Contribution to Film Industry: Dharmendra
- Outstanding Contribution to Literature in Indian Cinema: Chetan Bhagat
What is Dadasaheb Phalke International Film Festival ?
The Dadasaheb Phalke International Film Festival is a unique platform to honour and encourage the most creative Artists, Creators, filmmakers, and to infuse life into their career. DPIFF hosts the Most Prestigious Award Function to honour and appreciate the Entertainment & Film Industry and commemorate those deserving storyteller, creative writers, passionate filmmakers, and maverick artists who are part of great Indian cinema.
Important Day in Month of February
1 February – Indian Coast Guard Day
2 February – World Wetlands Day
4 February – World Cancer Day, Independence Day of Sri Lanka
6 February – International Day of Zero Tolerance to Female Genital Mutilation
7 February – International Safer Internet Day
11 February – World Day of the Sick
12 February – Darwin Day, International Day of Women’s Health
13 February – Sarojini Naidu’s Birth Anniversary
14 February – Saint Valentine’s Day
15 February – International Childhood Cancer Day
18 February – Taj Mahotsav
20 February – World Day of Social Justice
21 February – International Mother Language Day
22 February – World Scout Day
24 February – Central Excise Day
27 February – World Sustainable Energy Day
28 February – National Science Day
फरवरी, 2021 (हिन्दी मे पढ़े)
Download PDF of February 2021